NREC has worked extensively with government agencies to develop advanced unmanned ground vehicles, on-road and off-road autonomy, and operator assistance systems.
||Government Funded Research
NREC performs applied research for the Department of Defense, NASA, the National Science Foundation, the USDA, the Department of Energy, and other federal agencies. Our focus, role, and partnering approach depend on the amount of research content and the Request for Proposal’s technical and contractual requirements.
In most cases, we team with industry to provide a complete solution to fulfill requirements and successfully transition technology. Typical teaming arrangements include:
- NREC provides specific robotics-related deliverables to a prime contractor charged with integrating and fielding a complete system.
- NREC serves as prime contractor on an advanced system development project that produces a prototype suitable for extensive field testing and evaluation. We assemble and manage a team of technology providers, subsystem developers, and product suppliers.
- We subcontract to small businesses in pursuit of Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grants.
- We team with commercial industry to pursue federal government cost match programs such as the USDA’s Specialty Crop Research Initiative and the Department of Energy’s Industrial Technologies Program.
- NREC has a broad range of robotics-oriented, contract vehicles available through Carnegie Mellon for use by government agencies.
For more information, contact: