Robotics Engineer - Computer Vision
What we are looking for:
We are looking for an innovator in computer vision with expertise in fields related to: 3D perception, SLAM, visual odometry, machine learning for perception, safe CV, robust outdoor sensing approaches and more. You will work on challenging problems and develop state-of-the-art research in computer vision, 3D data processing, sensor fusion, machine learning, and other fields. You will apply these techniques to real-world robotic systems that perform useful work. Current projects leverage semantic segmentation, SLAM on embedded processors, laser perception for manipulation, and physics-based vision simulation.You will help our team make both autonomous field robotics and augmented reality applications a reality.
- Developing computer vision algorithms for real world applications.
- Prototyping in scripting languages.
- Transitioning to embedded CPU/GPU code for production.
- Interacting with sponsors for both planning and reporting purposes.
- Reporting complex technical detail to specialists and non-specialists.
- Surveying literature and implementing state-of-the-art techniques to take on challenging problems.
- Developing, documenting, and directing software system testing, troubleshooting, and verification procedures.
- Supporting manufacturing with hardware requirements and technology integration.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience (PhD is a bonus).
- 3-5 years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience
- Strong C or C++ skills.
- Experience implementing image processing/computer vision algorithms.
- Experience with scripting languages for quick prototyping of computer vision applications (Python or Matlab preferred).
- Linux development experience.
- Knowledge of basic software engineering principles.
- Technical communication skills.
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Deep learning/machine learning for Computer Vision
- Libraries such as OpenCV, PCL, ROS, Boost
- 3D and projective geometry
- Visual odometry, mapping, or SLAM
- Embedded systems or real time application development
- Developing sensor drivers
- CUDA, Intel's IPP,or SIMD (Neon, SSE)instruction development
You will have an impact on shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.