Robotics Engineer - Mobile Robotics
Job ID: 2014604
What we are looking for:
NREC is looking for robotics engineers who can help our team make autonomous field robotics a reality. We’re working on a challenging problem and that applies state of the art research in computer vision, 3D data processing, sensor fusion, machine learning, and other techniques to a real world outdoor robotic system. We emphasize regular field testing with the engineers sitting in the robots they program. We’re looking for an engineer with experience in autonomous vehicles to help take this research off-road, through difficult terrain, robustly and safely.
NREC has been working on autonomous systems for over 20 years. This includes self-driving vehicles, supervised autonomous manipulation, and other types of closed-loop vision applications in agricultural, mining, defense, and manufacturing sectors. NREC has also been working in application of Augmented Reality for 10 years, recently in humanitarian and driver assistance domains.
- Developing software for autonomous wheeled robotic systems.
- Adapting and integrating proprietary and open source software packages and APIs
- Participating in the software process: design, code reviews, etc.
- Build new tools for software communication, logging, and data analysis.
- Create and maintain development tools and infrastructure for robotic systems.
- Developing, documenting, and directing software system testing, troubleshooting, and verification procedures.
- Integrate custom and COTS hardware components: sensors, controllers, networking, etc.
- Supporting manufacturing with hardware requirements and technology integration.
- Development in a Linux environment.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience.
- Strong C++ skills.
- Experience with ROS.
- Experience with scripting languages for quick prototyping of autonomy applications (Python or Matlab preferred).
- Linux development experience.
- Knowledge of object-oriented concepts.
- Excellent communication skills.
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- 5+ years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience.
- Experience with any of the following:
- Ackerman steered or other wheeled vehicles.
- Off-road Autonomy.
- 2D motion planning.
- Dynamics and controls for mobile robots.
- Common ROS planning modules such as SBPL, OMPL, or MoveIt.
- Visual odometry, mapping, and SLAM.
- Control during aggressive vehicle maneuvers.
- Embedded systems and real time applications.
You will have an impact on shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 160 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.