Software Build Engineer
What we are looking for:
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University has an open position for a Software Build Engineer. We are looking for someone with dynamic experience with a broad spectrum of technical knowledge. You will work with a variety of hardware and software that will be used in robotic and non-robotic applications from systems analysis, release management, and software streamlining. You will support our projects from the ground up, and the work you do will be visible throughout the entirety of NREC.
- Deploy and maintain computation hardware and software for robotic applications.
- Improve and extend existing tools and procedures for automated builds and regression testing.
- Streamline procedures for distributing builds onto local and remote test platforms.
- Manage release documentation and tracking releases in the version control system.
- Improve developer tools to streamline prototyping, testing, and bug fixing.
- Provide reactive and proactive maintenance to systems including updates and patches.
- Automate common data collection, data management, and configuration tasks through scripting.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of software development and/or systems administration experience.
- Excellent Python or Bash scripting and Linux administration skills.
- Proficient C or C++ programming skills.
- Familiarity with Make, CMake, GTest, and Mercurial.
- Excellent technical communication skills.
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Professional software development processes.
- Network protocols and topologies.
- Docker, Valgrind, Atlassian, and other development tools.
You will have an impact on shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.