Software Engineer - Machine Learning
What we are looking for:
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University is seeking software engineers to develop machine learning algorithms and applications for commercial and industry applications. Prior applications of our machine learning software currently give vision to autonomous mining vehicles, safeguard industrial automation systems, and reduce waste in agricultural platforms, among other exciting systems.
- Develop machine learning software for real world perception applications.
- Build new tools for software communication, logging, and data processing and analysis.
- Participate in the software process: design, code reviews, etc.
- Transition applications to deployment with production quality CPU/GPU/FPGA code.
- Design, develop, document, test, troubleshoot, and maintain software applications and integrated systems.
- Interact with sponsors for both planning, application support, and reporting purposes.
- Survey literature and implement state of the art techniques to solve challenging problems.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience (more is a bonus).
- 3+ years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience.
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms to applications.
- Knowledge of basic computer vision principles.
- Experience with scripting languages for quick prototyping (Python preferred).
- Linux development experience.
- Knowledge of basic software engineering principles.
- Solid technical communication skills.
- Demonstrated success working as part of a cross-functional team.
We want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
Computer vision development
- Active learning
- Anomaly detection
- Few-shot or transfer learning
- Deep learning (perception, language, sequences, or robotics)
- Proficiency with C or C++
- Data science or data management
- Model testing and evaluation
- Professional software development processes
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the best robotics R&D group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.